How do I get my personal code?
You can get your personal code by following these steps:
- Run Birthday Manager on the computer that needs to be licensed.
- From the Help menu choose Register.
- In the Registration window click the Enter Registration Code button.
- Here you will find your computers' Personal Code. Copy it and use when buying the license.
How to convert my existing Excel contacts to SS Birthday Reminder format?
You can convert excel file to birthday reminder format using tool located at this address: http://ss-birthdayreminder.com/convert.htm
After you download the converted file you can import it into the Birthday Manager application.
Where is my contacts database located?
Every user has its own database file located in the following directory:
- "C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Birthday Reminder\bd.xml" - if you have Windows 98, Windows 2000 or Windows XP
- "C:\Users\Your User Name\Application Data\Birthday Reminder\bd.xml" - if you have Windows Vista or Windows 7
You should backup this file if you are going to reinstall Windows or if you want to migrate it to another PC.
When I'm trying to install SS Birthday Reminder I got the folowing error: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application". What should I do?
You need to install Microsoft .NET Framework. See below
how you can get it.
How to get the .NET Framework?
Microsoft .Net Framework is freely downloadable from microsoft.com website or from Windows Update service.
The Microsoft .NET Framework version 2.0 installs the .NET Framework runtime and associated files required to run applications developed to target the .NET Framework 2.0.
The .NET Framework version 2.0 improves scalability and performance of applications with improved caching, application deployment and updating with ClickOnce, support for the broadest array of browsers and devices with ASP.NET 2.0 controls and services.
Are you unsure about which version you should dowload? If you don't know your computer architecture please download .net framework 3.5 32bit or use windows update.
.NET Framework 2.0 distributions:
- .Net Framework 2.0 (for 32bit architectures - x86): dotnetfx.exe
- .Net Framework 2.0 (for 64bit architectures - x64): netfx64.exe
- .Net Framework 2.0 (for 64bit architectures - IA64): netfx64.exe
I accidentally deleted all my contacts, what should I do?
If you did not save anything yet after you have deleted your contacts, then you have two options:
- From the File menu choose Open, in the Open File window browse for the file "C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Birthday Reminder\bd.xml" and click Open button. The original version of your contacts database will be opened.
- From the Tools menu choose Options, in the Birthday Manager tab check "Don't save my contacts automatically on exit", then click OK, close the Birthday Manager and reopen it. The old version of your contacts should be now available.
If you have already used the save option, please look for the file "C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Birthday Reminder\bd.xml.bak".
Every time you make some changes to your contacts list and you save it, the Birthday Manager makes a backup of the previous version in the file "bd.xml.bak". Open this file and see if it contains the old version of your contacts. If it does, migrate its content to "bd.xml" by modifying the extension from ".xml.bak" to ".xml" or by using the Merge with submenu from the File menu.
P.S.: Do not change manually the content of the file "bd.xml". Also you are welcome to backup files "bd.xml" and "bd.xml.bak" before making these changes.
If your backup file does not contain the old version of the contacts, then it is possible that you have saved the changes several times and the backup file was overwritten many times.
In this case you can't restore the original version. If you think that it is possible for you to make such unwanted changes, be advised to backup this file to a safe location.
If you have a question which is not listed above, don't hesitate to contact us